11 June 2010

dear world.

I'm terribly sorry that it's been four days since I've posted. I don't even have a good reason for it, unless you count this:


and this:


Ah, Les Miserables, you have drawn me in, even though I skimmed over the thirty pages describing the battle of Waterloo. (so boring!) Dear Victor Hugo, please kill Javert. The sooner the better. At one point in the book, I actually thought that Javert had a heart. I stand corrected.

This book is massive. It's incredible that he had the patience to write the whole book. Halfway through I would have said, "Ok, sorry Javert, you fall in the Seine and drown. Jean Valjean and Cosette live happily ever after, The End." 1463 pages long. That's incredible.

Before I left, my dad told me that no matter how much I write in my journal or blog, I won't regret it. Because of that, my journal is rapidly filling up, and I'm going to need a new one. This is a problem. I'd prefer to get a high quality leather one (ok, I really just want a fresh one like the one I have) and I don't know how easy it would be to get my hands on one here. I could content myself with this:

I love J.R.R Tolkien, and that's one of my favorite poems.* And the best part? If I didn't want that, I could have the seller put a different quote on. I have 27pages of quotes saved. It wouldn't be hard to find one that I liked. But still searching. I just want one like the one I have now. It was a Christmas gift a few years ago from my grandparents, and it's beautiful. Red leather, gold lining on the pages, a snapping edge, beautiful. That's what I want, I just don't know where they got it.

We're heading out to the beach on Sunday! :) Watch me get completely fried (haha, just kidding Mom! I'll slather the sunscreen on for your sake). Everyone kept telling me before I left that I'd come back really tan. Or, not. I'll probably come back really, really sunburnt. I'm praying that we can wear shorts while we're there, because I only brought two pairs of capris. I'm wearing them all the time as it is, and I'd prefer not to wear them in 100+ weather.

Goodnight, all.

*"All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost
The old who are strong do not whither
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
From the ashes a fire shall be woken
A light from the shadow will spring
Renewed be the blade that was broken
The crownless again shall be king." beautiful, huh?

8 comments:

  1. Have a great time! Use the sunscreen, remember sunburn is no fun!!!
    Trying to find a journal, don't know how to get it to you though.
    Love you, grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will! And don't worry, I don't want to get sunburnt. :)
    Thank you! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought everytime you go near water with the sun up you get sunburnt. Hopefully you will remember to put plenty of sun block on this time. Do they offer wakeboarding there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaaaaaagh, tried to read that book last summer. Never managed to finish it. HATED the Javerd guy. No-having-heart bastard...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's pretty true! I did put it on twice, but I still got pretty fried. I don't think that they do. If they did I totally would have done it!

    I'm trying to finish it. I want to see how it ends. Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog! I really like your blog, too. That printed journal from Etsy is beautiful! I've been searching around on there for a new one, too, even though I still have a ways to go in my current one. The only thing is that I like a larger journal, and most of the beautiful ones on Etsy are like 4x5, which I think is tiny. =)

    By the way, can I say that I'm so jealous that you've been to Europe and the Middle East? =)

    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome. :) Thank you! I agree. I want a bigger one, so I guess I just need to keep looking.

    I'm so happy that I've been able to! :) If you ever get a chance, you should definitely go. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie, your blog is wonderful, you are such a gifted writer and all around wonderful young lady. I am so proud of you!
    Love you,
    Aunt Teri

    ReplyDelete

go ahead. make my day.